- Not everything needs to be written down.
- Not everything written down needs to be kept.
- The time and effort spent taking and using notes should be greater than the time and effort spent thinking about taking and using notes.
- The action of taking a note tends to be more important than finding or using that same note later.
- The note-taking system or app you have and use is better than the nonexistent one that you don't use.
- Putting everything in one place will not magically yield results.
These rules are based on my own experiences. Your mileage may vary.
And yes, I am aware that this post is a potential violation of Rule #3.